Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Bigger Picture

What is freedom? Up until today I've given you the impression that this blog is only about hedonism and a type of freedom that emphasizes self-indulgence. Today I was given good reason to feel very guilty about my freedom to indulge in a long vacation.

Freedom to travel is important to many people but the greatest freedom lies elsewhere. It is something so basic most of us take it for granted everyday. The greatest freedom is that of good health.

Today someone I've gotten to know over the past year (I'll call her N) confided to me she was diagnosed with a serious illness. She will require major surgery and her life will never be the same. She told me with strength and dignity and in a way not to make me feel sorry for her. But sorry and guilty is how I feel.

Today was supposed to be a happy post. I learned today that I will be free from wage labour at the end of next week. I took a voluntary lay-off from the company I have been working at for over 11 years. This will give me the freedom to pursue some things I've always wanted to do.

My friend N told me there are still so many things she wants to do in her life. N I hope you still get to do those things. You are a fighter! You have my hopes and my prayers.

How many of us are willing to give up some of our "freedoms" to help others?
We should always keep our good fortunes in perspective.

No comments: