Wednesday, July 19, 2006

No Sleep til... Kingston!


Just arrived in N.Y.C. But first let me bring you up to speed.


The story starts on July 14.

At approx. 10:30 PM on July 14 (Bastille Day), less than three hours after my last shift at work, we got our motor running and we headed out on the highway. First song of the trip was You Only Live Twice (sent to me by my friend Geda). We took Hwy 401 eastbound following the north shore of lake Ontario.
Fifteen minutes en route the shock of realizing I had forgotten my toothbrush took control of me. Where am I gonna find another toothbrush? So we turned around and went back to my house to fetch my toothbrush. Yeah right! When you’re traveling to America you don’t need to bring anything with you. Everything can be bought in the giant shopping mall that is America.
At our first stop for coffee at a Tim Horton’s near Belleville a line-haul driver from my former company stood in line behind me. I informed him that only hours before I liberated my self from the firm's employment. It was after five minutes of conversation that it dawned on us we knew each other from university in the early 90’s. He was a truck driver back then and I remember asking him if he intended to continue being a driver after he graduated. He said he did. Funny how life is, years later I meet him at a truckstop after having spent over 11 years in the same industry.

We pulled into Kingston, Ontario at about 1:15 AM . Kingston was once Canada'’s capital city until Queen Victoria decided to move the capital a couple of hundred kms inland to Ottawa, in case the Americans had any ideas of invasion.

B's buddy Nigel provided our first overnight loggings in his very hip crib. Bedtime was 3:30AM. Rise time was 10:30 and breakfast was at the famous Greek diner called Morrison'’s. We got back on the 401 to Cornwall to cross the border. B told me to shave before we got to the border to look more presentable. It was his stuff in the car that would raise the suspicion of the border patrol!

No comments: